Live, Play

This Little Piggy Went to Market (And Totally Screwed Up Fall)

October 5, 2015

I’ve alluded to my busted up toe a couple times in the last few weeks but I don’t think I have told you how it happened.

Five weeks ago I was sitting on my couch, preparing for an interview with (blind!) long-distance hiker Trevor Thomas for an article I was working on. I had talked to him before and was excited to give him another ring. He’s a super nice guy with a pretty incredible story.

Three minutes (literally) before our scheduled call I hopped off the couch and promptly slammed my pinky toe into the coffee table. I looked down, saw that it was sort of .. swiveled? … and felt the world start to go fuzzy.

I tend to pass out when things get intense. Too much pain? Too much stress? Too much adrenaline? Things go dark. A doctor (who witnessed it happen as I nervously waited for a minor procedure …) said it’s a vasovagal reaction to stress. Whatever it is, it’s unpleasant and incovenient.

I’ve learned over the years how to stop the black outs in their tracks. I sat down on the couch, took some deep breaths, and pulled myself together. I was about to talk to a blind guy who hiked the freaking Appalachian Trail by himself. I couldn’t miss the interview because of a damn stubbed toe. By the time I got off the phone with Trevor an hour later, I couldn’t walk.

Over the next several days my pinky toe and the top of my foot turned an unfortunate shade of purple. Any type of closed toed shoes left me in agony. I hobbled around for the next two weeks and was finally starting to feel a little better … when I stubbed the same damn toe again.

I flopped down on the couch and howled in pain and frustration. I was back to where I started.

I sucked it up for as long as I could but then finally realized a professional opinion was probably in order and went in for a scan. The X-ray tech took one look at my foot and said “Oh yeah, this little piggy went to market!”.

Diagnosis: Fracture. Treatment: Buddy taping and time.

It’s been almost six weeks since the initial injury and the damn thing still hurts. I can walk now without too much pain and riding works as long as I’m not doing anything at all gnarly. I had to cancel a much anticipated day out with friends at Kenosha Pass last weekend because, while I can pedal a bike, I can’t do anything remotely epic. Cyclocross season is upon us and I have no idea when or if I will be racing. At this point I’ve got my sights set on being healed up for snowboarding. Surely I’ll be better by then?

So yeah, I’m missing my favorite season of riding and hiking all because of a damn stubbed toe.

It hasn’t been all bad, though. Being down for the count has left a lot of time for other things (one of those things was not blogging, apparently!). Here’s what’s been going down in the meantime:

Time with friends and family. Being out of town for most of the summer didn’t leave a lot of room for hanging out with friends at home so we’ve been making up for lost time. Between having people over for dinner, meeting friends out for drinks, brunches at the bakery (and some get togethers that didn’t even involve food!), we’ve been super social. We even managed to sneak out child-free one night!

Date night. We ate the hell out of this.

Lots of work. The timing of this injury was actually pretty good considering that for the past few weeks I have been slammed with work projects. Freelancing is a bit of a “feast or famine” thing and right now I’m in a stage of “feast”. This is a good thing.

Work is always better when accompanied by live bluegrass.

Little guy milestones. Homeboy turned three, started preschool, and got a new bike for his birthday. He is now obsessed with riding his pedal bike (even though he mostly still uses it like a Strider). I predict that he will be full on ripping in a month or two!

Chicken drama. We lost a chicken a couple months ago due to her being egg bound (at least I think that’s what happened). Since winter is coming I decided we needed to add to the flock (the more chickens you have, the warmer they stay) so I got two pullets from the feed store. The kidlet named them Melon and Tutu (and I swore that from now on all new family pets will be named by a three-year old). Then I decided that the whole crew needed a new coop so I am learning how to build things with wood. Stay tuned to see if I still have ten fingers when this is all over!

This is Melon.

This is Tutu.

And yeah, that’s been about it. You’d think that all this downtime would have left a lot of room in my life for updating this here blog but that’s just not how the cookie crumbled. I’m back now, though, and have a lot to talk about!

I hope that it’s cool and fall-like wherever you are. Go do some adventuring for me!



You Might Also Like


  • Reply Jen October 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm

    Sorry about the toe but wow did that cheese/meat plate look amazing. And I can’t wait to see pics of the little guy pedaling away!

    • Reply jendz October 5, 2015 at 3:57 pm

      That meat/cheese plate was SO GOOD! And now I want to go get another one … 😉 He’ll be pedaling before we know it!

    Leave a Reply